Award-Winning Jamboree Housing Corporation Celebrates 15 Years, Raises $400,000 For Housing With Hea
Irvine, CA – Jamboree Housing Corporation (JHC), celebrating a decade and a half of developing high-quality, affordable housing in prime California communities, raised close to $400,000 at its highly successful fundraiser to support and expand JHC’s resident services program, Housing with HEART – Helping Educate, Activate and Respond Together.
The celebration, themed “Up on the Roof,” hosted a sold-out audience of business executives and elected officials at Irvine’s Shady Canyon Golf Club to toast the nonprofit’s 15 years of award- winning, affordable housing development.
According to JHC President Laura Archuleta, the event’s success and funds raised exceeded all expectations. “The outpouring of incredibly generous support by leading California businesses is remarkable. For the past 15 years, JHC partners, staff and board members have united, working relentlessly, to increase the supply of high-quality affordable housing that is affordable to low-income families. And in five short years, we have implemented a robust Housing with HEART program that has touched more than 5,000 lives. We see and applaud countless California communities with the vision and political fortitude to incorporate housing opportunities for all residents. But there are still thousands of families and seniors simply existing in overcrowded, substandard housing, who, each and every day, must make painfully tough choices between food, clothing and medication. Our work has just begun. May we all stay committed to our cause and passionate about our work."
The event was highlighted by Washington Mutual and Western Financial Bank, as $50,000 title sponsors, presenting scholarships to four JHC residents. Platinum sponsors ($25,000 donors) ICON Builders, KTGY Group, Inc., MMA Financial, Portrait Homes, Inc., and Preservation Partners Development are launching a community volunteer awards program.
Other event highlights included auction packages – close to 40 – from more than 60 donors that raised more than $15,000. The highest bid awarded an exclusive evening at Disneyland’s private Club 33 to a woman eager to celebrate her 50th birthday simultaneously with Disneyland’s 50th anniversary. Other auction items included a weekend of spa indulgences, fitness and recreation at the exclusive Bacara Resort and Spa in Santa Barbara. The Bellagio Spa and Salon in Newport Beach will treat another winning bidder to a day of relaxation and beauty. And, a lucky wine enthusiast will take a “grape escape” to the Wilson Creek Winery for a private tasting tour coupled with a hot air balloon adventure.
The event previewed a video highlighting JHC communities and residents, included dancing to the live music of the popular Derek Bordeaux Group, and a custom CD for guests, featuring “a musical journey of home, hope and dreams.”
JHC’s remarkable communities and programs have been lauded with top national awards including:
- 2003 Fair Housing Leadership Award – Homebuilder Category, Fair Housing Council of Orange County
- 15th Annual National Maxwell Awards of Excellence, Fannie Mae Foundation
- 2004 Developer of the Year, Southern California Association of Nonprofit Housing
- 2004 Communities of Quality, Affordable Housing Management Association
- Brandy Pastor of San Clemente is a single mother who recognizes the value of achieving her educational goals. She has built a better life for her family, and is especially grateful that her three children will now have more options for their own lives. Currently, she is a student at Saddleback Community College and will be pursuing a degree in journalism.
- Angelique Valdez of Rowland Heights is a full-time college student studying music and theater arts. She also volunteers to help students with theatrical productions at a local high school. This singer and songwriter has already performed in New York’s Carnegie Hall, and believes she can make a difference in the world through the positive messages of music.
Western Financial Bank
- Jennifer Villanueva of La Puente -- without a computer of her own -- makes good use of the Housing with HEART sponsored computer lab to do research and complete homework assignments. She volunteers with a local Head Start program, and her love for children helped her choose her career. Jennifer plans to pursue a liberal studies major to become an elementary school teacher.
- Edisandra Ortega of Santa Ana, through volunteer activities, was given the opportunity to listen as others reflected on their struggles in life. She realized that she wanted her own life to be different, and knows that with an education and a “never give up” attitude, she will succeed. She is working towards an A.A. at Santa Ana College and plans to pursue training to become a licensed massage therapist.
Presented by ICON Builders, KTGY Group, Inc., MMA Financial, Portrait Homes, Inc., and Preservation Partners Development
In every community there is someone who makes an impression as a neighbor or a friend by their consistent generosity or willingness to help. The Housing with HEART Community Service Award was created for those individuals. They not only have taken the opportunity to live in an affordable housing community and made exceptional changes in their own lives, but consistently share from their own success to encourage, inspire and serve others. And by giving back compassionately to their community, they truly demonstrate the most significant quality... heart. Each of five Platinum Sponsors will present a $1,000 award to a winning resident annually for two years.
About Jamboree: Founded in 1990, Jamboree Housing Corporation is an award-winning, broad-based nonprofit housing development company that develops, acquires, renovates and manages permanently affordable rental and ownership housing for lower-income families and seniors throughout California. Housing with HEART (Helping Educate, Activate and Respond Together) is a 501 (c)(3) organization and an affiliate of Jamboree Housing Corporation. Jamboree Housing Corporation – one of the first nonprofit housing providers to recognize, and integrate into its program, the vital link between housing and on-site resident services – is Orange County’s leading nonprofit developer with an ownership interest in more than 3,600 affordable rental apartment homes throughout California. More information is available on the company’s Web site at www.jamboreehousing.com.